How to survive?

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Since we released the alpha version of Pijul 1.0 two months ago, a lot of things have happened. In this post, I want to share some of them, and give a roadmap for the next few weeks or months.

Achievements of the last two months

I’m happy to announce that we are now very close to a beta version of Pijul. A number of things needed to be fixed, and they have indeed been fixed. In particular:

Roadmap and current projects

Only one major catastrophe, leading to a reset of history

This is the most crucial metric for this project: a history reset is needed when we need to change the on-disk representation for one reason or another. It happened a few times in the past, and did happen again after the current alpha was published. This is, however, very unlikely to ever happen again.

What happened was, after only a few days of using Pijul for itself, I started noticing an issue with pijul unrecord, where patches were somehow “lossy”, in the sense that they didn’t contain enough information to unapply them (I now have a clear proof that the current patch format doesn’t lose anything).

Here is the specific issue: Pijul represents blocks of bytes in a graph, where edges are labelled with their status (deleted, alive, etc.). The recent improvements in the algorithm introduced the possibility to split vertices, which has made it necessary to add new statuses to detect when that happened.

Then, patches can add new vertices, or map the statuses of existing edges. I initially thought that the new statuses could be computed at apply time, but I was wrong, because I don’t know how to compute them when unrecording. Indeed, in order for the map of edge statuses to be invertible, it must be one-to-one, which wasn’t the case.

This has led me to reset the repository after just one week, changing the patch formats in the process. This was two months ago, and after that happened, I’ve started to work on a proof that the algorithms are correct, which I hope to publish soon.

Thank you!

When I started implementing the new algorithms a few months ago, the community was rather small. However, the fragile, clunky, alpha version grew significantly beyond my expectations. In particular, a number of people have made great contributions to the code, ranging from fixing a minor compilation error, to new features, design discussions, etc.

It is very hard to make an exhaustive list of all the people who have made this project what it is today. Florent Becker provided the initial impulse, as well as many insights, code contributions, and friendly support for years. Also, the current state of things wouldn’t have been possible either without the enthusiasm of lthms, tae, Florian Gilcher, among others.

I want to thank Pierre-Yves David, Laurent Bulteau and Florian Horn, with whom I’ve started a collaboration on research topics related to version control. Pierre-Yves is one of the main contributors to Mercurial, and the founder of Octobus, which looks like a really cool company if you’re interested in Rust, version control systems, or (and especially) both.

I would also like to thank all the new contributors of the last two months, listed here. In particular, cole-h and loewenheim have contributed to many discussions and proposed many improvements, ranging from compilation errors to colours in the change visualisation, to the ergonomics of a number of commands (pijul record --amend or pijul unrecord are just examples). And danieleades taught me about modern error management in Rust (I had not looked into that topic since the days of error-chain).

Pijul is based on a number of layers, and there have also been great contributions on them: the manual has seen many contributions. Jason-ni patiently tested asynchronous issues in Thrussh.

I also want to give special thanks to tankf33der, who has patiently discovered a truly impressive number of bugs. Some of these bugs were easy to fix (such as making HTTPS more secure on this site and nest.pijul.com), others required deep redesigns (such as introducing CRC checks in Sanakirja to detect disk errors). Many of them seem to have been inspired by a “what if?” testing methodology rather than actual usage, which led to small, reproducible test cases. The title of this post (“how to survive”) was inspired by a message from him after one of my patches once again broke his repository (sorry about that!).

Finally, I wanted to thank Paul Hammant for giving me really useful insights about his professional experience as a trunk-based development consultant, and the possible future of Pijul as a trunk-based development tool. If you’re interested in development methodology, you might enjoy reading about his VCS Nirvana, as well as other posts on his blog.

Advent of Code 2020

A number of adventurous people have used the Advent of Code puzzles to learn Pijul, which I find really cool.

I believe Emily is the only one who completed all 25 puzzles.

CT075 came close with 22 24 puzzles solved.

The others I know of are (in alphabetical order) henil, idmyn, jraregris, krixano.

Chat

We’ve had an IRC channel on Freenode for a long time, but neither Florent nor myself have been very active on it. I’ve never been really good at IRC: I find simultaneous conversations hard to follow and history impossible to search. Many things require bots I don’t have the time to write, including mentions, direct messages, etc.

After reading how Mozilla replaced their IRC server, taking opinions of the community, I decided to try out Zulip.

The address is https://pijul.zulipchat.com/, and invitations aren’t required. Feel free to come, say hello, and tell us what you think!